Well, it’s still Halloween in July around here. I found a really cool black fabric to use for the sashing material and cut up my strips. It’s a Robert Kaufman print and I really love it. I think it goes great with the Costume Clubhouse fabric.
Now, time to do the layout. It took a lot of thought to make sure to cut the prints properly and to sew them in the right direction. The Topiary Tiles pattern did not use the directional fabric that I chose for this design. And it used precut squares instead of the fat quarters that I used. I had to do a few reinterpretations of the pattern directions to get them cut the same. I ended up doing 20 big squares instead of 24. So, first I cut my focal fabric (20 7″ squares) and then I cut the rest of it.
From each supporting fabric I cut:
20 11 1/2 x 2 1/2″ strips
20 3″ squares
20 2 1/2 x 7″ strips
20 2 1/2 x 3″ rectangles
40 3 x 7″ strips
I love the way it turned out. I had a little help while trying the layout on my bedroom floor and then a little wrestling match ensued between my two kitty helpers. It’s good to take a break for a little entertainment from time to time. After the match the layout ended up like this:
I found this adorable spider fabric that I will be using for the border.