I received this lovely item for Christmas from my Mom.
It’s a Singer 8500Q. It has 215 decorative stitches and came with the super important quilting feet – the walking foot and the quarter inch foot – as well as numerous other sewing feet. It has a needle-down function, auto thread cutter, a start/stop button if you would rather not use the foot pedal, and a knee lift for the presser foot. I have used all but the knee lift and can see myself really getting used to those features.
It looks huge compared to my 15 year old Kenmore.
The throat space is about 1 inch larger but I have not yet tried out the capacity for quilting a larger quilt. I played with the decorative stitches to get an idea of what they looked like in size and design.
The kite tails one is my favorite of the bunch that I tried. The machine has a programmable function that can string some of the decorative stitches together, including letters and numbers. It holds forty characters and I know this because I tried to do more than that, which leads me to the Disney Mini Quilt Swap mini.
I cannot yet show the mini to you guys because it is a secret swap and the design is very specific to my partner and I don’t want to give it away before they receive it. I love how it turned out and cannot wait to share the whole process with you.
This picture is prior to quilting but I wanted to show the richness of the colors. The mini also has a phrase, from the film that the mini is based on, that I sewed using the programmable function of my new sewing machine. It worked out really well. I’ll have a full post about the mini once it is received by my partner.
I also put together some #hashtag blocks for Molli Sparkles for his Sewing for Sydney project. He would like to have about 1100 of his hashtag blocks for this project. He had approximately 600 at the last public count that I saw. Click the link above to read more about it.
When I wasn’t playing with my new machine I worked on a cross-stitch project. I even worked on it during my lunch break at work. I was able to add these beads to the owl’s belly.
That beaded heart just makes me smile. The colors are gorgeous and it just glows! I’m hoping to get the owl finished within the week so I can move on to my next swap project. I have 3 total to be completed by March, one of which is the Disney one. So, I have 2 to start on. One is due in the next 3 weeks and the other not until March. I really need to get cracking and get a move on that first one.
All of those projects will give me lots of practice on that new Singer so maybe I can give better feedback about it later.