A Snail’s Pace

I was going through my stash recently to cut up fat quarters for the fat quarter swap we do at my guild (The Memphis Area Modern Quilt Guild) meeting each month.  I came across these sweet snail and dragonfly prints and decided to keep them to make a baby quilt for upcoming baby showers and such.  I matched them to some Kona solids that I had from a great Craftsy sale a while back.  Those prints are from a 2010 line called Breeze for In The Beginning fabrics. I wanted to do an HST quilt of some kind so chose the 4 at a time method of cutting and sewing.  I cut 7″ squares then placed them right sides together and sewed a 1/4″ seam all around the edges.  Cut on the diagonal each direction and you end up with 4 sections 4 1/2″ square.  This method seems to be a bit more precise for me and I think I’ll need to find a chart of some kind to show what size square will get to what size final section.  This left me with a nice pile of pieces to iron and then decide how I wanted to place them.   Once I laid them out on the floor I got to rearranging and rearranging and rearranging and ended up here.  I’m still not sure but I definitely like where it’s going.  The heart part is really sweet.  I still may change up the 3 inside squares.  What do you guys think?  Should I keep those patterned squares or change them to more solids?

Prior to that sewing burst of energy, this happened:   Last weekend I hit my master bedroom closet with a vengeance and did a bit of purging. 

Why does anybody need this many empty show boxes in their closet?  I sure don’t – so to the recycle bin they went.  I did find 2 pairs of super awesome shoes though so it was a win-win.  I was also able to purge 2 bags of  clothes for donations and 2 large bags of garbage.  It was incredibly freeing to get rid of stuff that I don’t like and will never wear again or have actually never worn.  Now my closet is a happy place without shoeboxes and ill-fitting clothing all over the place.

Now, it’s time to get back to my other happy place and sew some pretties together.  I did get another bee block done.  This one is the Double Star block.  It came togther really quickly and I like how it looks.  The queen bee wanted navy, grey, gold, peach, cerise, aqua, text, and white.  I have a block in mind for my month but is one may be good too.  I’m waiting to see what else gets released before I make a final decision.  I’m glad I was able to get a later month as my queen bee month.  It’s giving me so many options of blocks to choose from.  They have also been a challenge as I have been pulling exclusively from stash.  But that has also been the fun part of this bee.  I like seeing what I can find in my stash to put together the perfect color combo for the queen.  I’m looking forward to next month’s selection on both color combo and block.