Fit for a Queen

I have been working and working and working on my Teal Fizz quilt.  I decided that I need it to fit my bed so I continued to cut and cut and cut and sew and sew and sew.  My plan was 90″ x 108″ to fit my queen size bed and I got it to about 84×84 and went to try it out.Perfect amount of overhang on all sides!  I never cover up the pillows with my bedcovering so I don’t need it any longer than it currently is. I was so happy that I did not need to cut any more blocks. And it looks awesome!  I’m so happy with the result.

On the downside,  now I need to make a backing that is slightly larger than that.  I have this plan using solids and incorporating some scraps from the front.  The plan in my head is not turning out in the fabric but I think it will look great once done.  I’m okay with making adjustments on the fly.  And that is what’s great about pieced backings.  They lend themselves to improv type piecing and are very adaptable.

This strip is going to be lengthwise somewhere on the back.  So, it will be solids, this pieced strip, and the bee blocks that did not make the cut for the front of the quilt.  Some of the colors weren’t quite the right shade of teal and grey.  So, I did get a large bit of the backing complete. Love this pic of the prettiest trimmings ever!And then the quilt top in all its glory.OMG!  I love this so much!  I won’t have the chance to do any sewing on the machine this week so I hope you guy can pick up my slack.  But, I’ll get back to it as soon as I can.

Happy Sewing!

Advertisements

Teal Fizz

I pulled another old work-in-progress out of hiding and went about figuring out how I wanted to finish it.  The blocks are from The Beehive Quilts quilting bee that I took part in a few years back.  I had chosen the Fizzy Block as my block with teals and charcoal greys as my color choices.  My sample blocks showed the placement of the colors.The group was supposed to send 2 blocks to each member of the ‘hive’.  I actually did not receive all the blocks that I was supposed to receive but that is the chance you take signing up for this type of group.  So, I went to work making more blocks to get up to the quantity of 24 that was required of the bee.It was smaller than I wanted and didn’t give quite the punch that I was expecting.  I want those curves to really shine.  So, I cut out more blocks and more blocks and more blocks.Now, I’ve decided that I want to put it on my bed.  So, guess what?  I need to cut out even more blocks to get it to be a queen size quilt.  I think I’m now at about 48 of the 12″ blocks, in varying degrees of completion, with the possibility of more to come.  I may need at least 8 or 10 more.  Keep in mind that each block takes four sections of the large drunkards path block and I really am getting tired of cutting them out.  I also had to recut my template piece as it was getting a bit distorted in shape and was messing with my block sizing.  All this cutting is really digging into my teal and charcoal stash and I will be sad if it depletes too much more.

But, I do believe that it will be totally worth it when it’s done!  It’s already beginning to shine!

Stash Enhancement:

Well, I haven’t increased my teal or grey stash but recently got in the newest monthly Cotton + Steel Basics bundle from Pink Castle Fabrics.Not a teal or grey in the bunch but still a pretty sight to see.  I just love the metallics in this Basics collection.  They shimmer so bright and will add just the right amount of glitter to any project.

Happy Sewing!

Beehive blocks #2

I made a few Beehive Blocks this week.  One is for the September Queen Bee and the other for the October one.  The September Queen in my Beehive swarm chose the Mineral block.  This one has lots of little half-square triangles to form the minerals and her color palette was mostly neutrals and blues with a hint of gold and orange.  She approved my fabric pull so I went to work cutting it all out.  It had lots of little squares that needed cutting and it took a lot of concentration making sure that I cut the right color in the right amount of squares.  Once everything was cut out it was actually pretty quick to put together.  I wasn’t sure about the low volume with the animals on it but now I think it looks pretty cool.  The selvedge states it is called ‘Nature Study.’  I can’t wait to see how her quilt turns out.

The October queen is me.  I have been sitting on a color palette for a few months now and have been waiting for the blocks to be released to see what block I would possibly choose for my aesthetic.  Well, it will come as no surprise to some of you what colors I chose.   

The Color Theory fabric on the top is my inspiration piece.  The teals and greys just look so great together. The Fizzy block got released in July and it has movement and circles.  It made it to the top of my short-list.  My sample block came out awesome! There was no need to look any further.  This was the one I wanted. I made a second block and it’s just going to be incredible when I get all my Bee blocks in the mail.  I cannot wait to get this top completed.  The lights and darks are gong to give it such incredible movement and interest.  I just love it! 

Birthday Stash:

My bestie sent me a gift certificate for the Intrepid Thread for my birthday last month and I finally got around to using it and picked up these wonderful Alison Glass prints.  (The charm squares were a sweet bonus they included in my package.) I bought those on a day where Julie was having a bundle daily deal so I also grabbed these beauties. It’s such a bright and happy collection of fabrics. 

Now that Fall has officially arrived I have the urge to make a new table runner for the living room in some great fall colors.  Maybe some pumpkins………