Straight to the Finish

I’ve made a ton of progress on finishing quilts this year.  I want to make sure to finish a bunch of current works-in-progress to help clear up the clutter in my sewing room.  One of those from the basting session I had a few weeks back is the Triple Barnstar quilt pattern by Amy Gibson of Stitchery Dickory Dock.  She had it on Craftsy a few years back as a quilt kit that contained Birch Farm fabric by Joel Dewberry.  It’s super pretty but not quite my style – and there’s so much white (we’ll get back to that later).  But I persevered and got it finished.  A great friend of mine just bought her first house and I decided this would make a wonderful housewarming gift for her and her family.  They got the keys last week and that’s the kind of deadline that gets things done!

During the journey to finish this quilt, I was trying to decide what to do with all the white space.  I knew the quilting would show no matter what color thread I used so I needed a bit more precision than I normally go with.  I’d already decided on triangle shaped lines to bring out those side triangles.  I then remembered that I got a Hera Marker for Christmas and had not yet used it to help mark quilts.  I tend to go rogue and just do what I feel and call it organic rather than precise straight lines.  I used the Hera Marker in the white sections to score straight lines at even intervals that I could then stitch over to get some crisp and straight quilting lines.The end product really shows how well this worked for me.  I never sew this straight.  It was amazing!I bound it with the Chicken Coop print in all 4 colorways and backed it with the remaining fabric from the kit.I can’t wait to wash this one and get it all crisp and crinkly!

As a funny aside – I did have to unquilt and unpiece one corner once I realized it was not facing the correct direction. I just couldn’t live with it that way and it would have messed up my quilting design for those corners.  I found it when I went to quilt the corner.  But, as you saw in the final quilt, I was able to fix it with minimal damage since it was on the corner and easy to get to.

I finished two other quilts as well but I’ll show those another time.  I bought more batting so I’m now ready for another round of basting.  Many more quilts in that work-in-progress pile to tackle.

Happy Sewing!

Advertisements