A friend of mine is getting married in a few months and I’ve been contemplating a quilt or some quilty gift for her. Her wedding colors are champagne and blush and I’m not sure what to do with that as my color palette is a bit more vibrant. I found a pattern I liked and pulled some low volume fabrics then dug in my stash for a small pop of color. I found a deep coral floral colored fabric that I thought would work. I was wrong……..The low volumes got lost so I thought maybe I should switch it up and reverse the color placement – low volume background, high contrast star parts. Slightly better but just barely…….still not what was floating around in my head.
As those blocks headed for the orphan block pile I came across an old project that I had started but got disenchanted by. The colors might be a bit brighter than she would prefer but I think it could work. I had all the fabrics wrapped up with the blocks so I didn’t have to dig any further for those.I bordered it with a thin white strip, gave it a super good press, and decided to move in a medallion type style. The first surround contains different width strips placed both vertically and horizontally – slightly random placement of each colored strip with the floral fabric always in the center.Next up are some large Raspberry Kiss blocks – pattern was adapted from the original tutorial by Wooden Spoon Quilts. I thought the smaller blocks would not work nearly as well for the next surround so I was glad to find a larger size to use.I had to scrap the Raspberry Kiss blocks with the deep magenta on the corners. It was just way to bright for the rest of this quilt. But I was able to use them to cut the side squares for the centers. I love it when fabric does not go to waste.
I’ve got a bit more of these and some filler blocks to make to get the next section finished. Then I’ll have to decide on the next row. My mind is already churning……..