Fit for a Queen

I have been working and working and working on my Teal Fizz quilt.  I decided that I need it to fit my bed so I continued to cut and cut and cut and sew and sew and sew.  My plan was 90″ x 108″ to fit my queen size bed and I got it to about 84×84 and went to try it out.Perfect amount of overhang on all sides!  I never cover up the pillows with my bedcovering so I don’t need it any longer than it currently is. I was so happy that I did not need to cut any more blocks. And it looks awesome!  I’m so happy with the result.

On the downside,  now I need to make a backing that is slightly larger than that.  I have this plan using solids and incorporating some scraps from the front.  The plan in my head is not turning out in the fabric but I think it will look great once done.  I’m okay with making adjustments on the fly.  And that is what’s great about pieced backings.  They lend themselves to improv type piecing and are very adaptable.

This strip is going to be lengthwise somewhere on the back.  So, it will be solids, this pieced strip, and the bee blocks that did not make the cut for the front of the quilt.  Some of the colors weren’t quite the right shade of teal and grey.  So, I did get a large bit of the backing complete. Love this pic of the prettiest trimmings ever!And then the quilt top in all its glory.OMG!  I love this so much!  I won’t have the chance to do any sewing on the machine this week so I hope you guy can pick up my slack.  But, I’ll get back to it as soon as I can.

Happy Sewing!

Advertisements

Teal Fizz

I pulled another old work-in-progress out of hiding and went about figuring out how I wanted to finish it.  The blocks are from The Beehive Quilts quilting bee that I took part in a few years back.  I had chosen the Fizzy Block as my block with teals and charcoal greys as my color choices.  My sample blocks showed the placement of the colors.The group was supposed to send 2 blocks to each member of the ‘hive’.  I actually did not receive all the blocks that I was supposed to receive but that is the chance you take signing up for this type of group.  So, I went to work making more blocks to get up to the quantity of 24 that was required of the bee.It was smaller than I wanted and didn’t give quite the punch that I was expecting.  I want those curves to really shine.  So, I cut out more blocks and more blocks and more blocks.Now, I’ve decided that I want to put it on my bed.  So, guess what?  I need to cut out even more blocks to get it to be a queen size quilt.  I think I’m now at about 48 of the 12″ blocks, in varying degrees of completion, with the possibility of more to come.  I may need at least 8 or 10 more.  Keep in mind that each block takes four sections of the large drunkards path block and I really am getting tired of cutting them out.  I also had to recut my template piece as it was getting a bit distorted in shape and was messing with my block sizing.  All this cutting is really digging into my teal and charcoal stash and I will be sad if it depletes too much more.

But, I do believe that it will be totally worth it when it’s done!  It’s already beginning to shine!

Stash Enhancement:

Well, I haven’t increased my teal or grey stash but recently got in the newest monthly Cotton + Steel Basics bundle from Pink Castle Fabrics.Not a teal or grey in the bunch but still a pretty sight to see.  I just love the metallics in this Basics collection.  They shimmer so bright and will add just the right amount of glitter to any project.

Happy Sewing!