At a guild meeting a few months back we were given some fabrics to use in order to make some charity quilts for a local children’s hospital. We were able to select 6 fat quarters out of the entire selection that was available. The fabrics I chose were all from a Japanese line called Mushroom World. If interested, there are a few prints on deep discount at Hancock of Paducah’s fabric shop and other prints in the line are available on Fabric.com. I wanted to feature the fabric and make them the focus of the quilt and I needed to decide on a pattern that would do that.
I made wonky sized log cabin blocks with random sized squares surrounded by varying sized strips. I picked blender fabrics that would pull all of the colors out and make them shine. Those colors made this such a happy looking quilt. A meandering squares continuous line quilting pattern was perfect! Backed with a Riley Blake Chevron print then bound with a mixture of the red gingham and a solid red made this quilt complete and after a washing it will be ready to donate later this year. I’m incredibly happy about how straight the chevron turned out on the back. I tried to line it up correctly while basting and it worked. And those quilted squares look awesome on it! I’m excited to show this off at our guild meeting next week.
In other news, I am planning on updating my sewing space a bit and the first part was to get this unit from IKEA. It’s from the BESTA collection. Please excuse the ‘just finished assembling’ photo. I have yet to place the shelves as I plan on adding an ironing surface to the top which makes it more organized and functional. And that is way better than the ‘regular ironing board and the pile of junk currently stored underneath it’ system that I currently have going on.